Whether you need more natural light and fresh air or a more open and inviting feeling, skylights are an easy addition that can bring any room to life.
A skylight is a window set in the roof at the same angle as the ceiling. This window’s purpose is not to provide a view, but to allow natural sunlight to shine into the room.
Why consider a skylight?
There are numerous benefits to being surrounded by natural light. Installing a skylight in your home or business will not only change the aesthetics of the room but the atmosphere as well. Let’s have a look at a few benefits of skylights:
- One of the most positive aspects of having a skylight is that it brings extra daylight into a room, particularly during the winter months when days are shorter, there are fewer hours of sunlight, and the sun is at a lower angle than during the summer.
- Because of the increase in natural light from skylights, the use of artificial lighting and electricity can be reduced, and during the colder months, skylights can contribute to the heat gain of a space and reduce the need for heating.
- Aside from the positive environmental impact that comes with using less electricity, the use of skylights has the potential to even reduce electric bills.
- The flexibility and range of design options, which can vary in location, size, shape, and angle so that they take advantage of local conditions. A skylight can be designed to capture early morning sunlight to help heat a space, but also so that it misses the strong afternoon sun that might make a room too warm.
- Sun tunnels are a great way to bring natural light into areas where a window may be impractical.
- Properly designed tempered glass skylights, with low-emission coating, are cooler than electric lights, screening out 99 percent of the sun’s heat and ultraviolet rays while providing excellent lighting.
- Installing skylights is better for the environment; no artificial light can compare to the quality of natural light.
Why Must A Roofing Contractor Install Your Skylight?
All the benefits of a skylight won’t matter if it is not professionally installed and maintained by a roofing contractor specializing in skylights. The right roofing contractor will know how to:
- Install the skylight without compromising the roof, keeping the structural integrity of the roof and building intact.
- Seal the skylight properly, it must be leak-proof during even the heaviest of rains.
- Use the glass specially designed to withstand impact. If the skylight does not have double glazing (the second layer of tempered glass) then it is not up to current code regulations.
- Explain the costs involved to install and maintain the skylight. Skylights need regular wear-and-tear maintenance. A leaking skylight, depending on the severity, can cause major damage to your furniture and floors.
Do you want the rooms in your home warm and inviting? Do you want to lighten darker areas of your home naturally? Do you want to decrease your carbon footprint? A skylight is an answer. Eaton Roofing & Exteriors, a name you can trust, has been in the roofing business for nearly 30 years. Contact us for a free estimate and allow us to transform your home today.